some HINTS . . .
H2 analysis is still a big problem on TCDs
Use Argon as Carrier Gas > High sensitivity but useless for ALL other analytes re sensitivity
- Helium creates anomolous behavior 1-10% and on ANY GC Brand; cross over response > negative peaks > poor response
Dual/Parallel Column CTD1 can be problematic for complex sample (inc HCs > C6) re spurious peaks etc
- really an over simplistic cost (GC options) compromise
- consideration required for backflushing hence refinements of the MG#5
- Heated GSV Oven is recommended if samples contain water ( to avoid condensation etc )
- for ppM CO and CO2 you need the Methaniser-FID Option
- an OxyTrap on the carrier gas is essential if HayeSep column is to be used at colume temp >150degC otherwise expect spurios carryove bleed peaks DON’t rely entirely on BOC HighGrade Heliun IT CAN NOT BE GUARANTEED
S-Cpds require Silcosteel(MXT) columns and silco sample loops and connecting plumbing
- of course at least a FPD S-selective detector is required
ALL MG systems require CARE in interpreation of Result due to some peak duplication
YOU need quite some technical capability and understanding of such system
OTHERWISE YOU CAN EASILY GET INTO A MESS - and NOT for the “faint-hearted” !