some HINTS . . .
H2 analysis is still a big problem on ANY TCDs
Use Argon as Carrier Gas > High sensitivity but useless for ALL other analytes re sensitivity
- Helium & TCDs creates anomolous behavior 1-10% X-over and on ANY GC Brand; cross over response > negative peaks > poor response Quantitation > Useless without extreme work-around ASK!
Dual/Parallel Columns CTD1 can be problematic for complex sample (inc HCs > C6) re spurious peaks etc & Alltech is GONE!
> SRI > Parralll Dual Packed Column
> gererally are but an over simplistic cost (GC options) compromise for specifix fixed type gas App
- consideration required for backflushing hence refinements of the MG#5
- Heated GSV Oven is recommended if samples contain water ( to avoid condensation etc )
- for ppM CO and CO2 you need the Methaniser-FID Option
- an OxyTrap on the carrier gas is essential if HayeSep column is to be used at colume temp >150degC otherwise expect spurious carryover bleed peaks DON’t rely entirely on BOC HighGrade Heliun IT CAN NOT BE GUARANTEED
S-Cpds require Silcosteel (MXT) columns and silco sample loops and connecting plumbing
- of course at least a FPD S-selective detector is required
ALL MG systems require CARE in interpretation of Result due to some peak duplication
YOU need quite some technical capability and understanding of such system
OTHERWISE YOU CAN EASILY GET INTO A MESS - and it’s certainly NOT for the “faint-hearted” !